Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Weight War

I'm not quite sure why ppl feel the need to express to you how fat they think you are. For me, it has never been polite or even my place to comment on anyone's weight. So being told that I look fat by a few people, really got me thinking. It didn't hurt my feelings because I'm confident and happy. I think I look lovely with some meat. But for a moment, I did think that I need to go straight to the gym. Maybe put together an eating plan. I didn't take it to heart, because as long as you are healthy... there's no need for a crazy diet. So I brushed it off my shoulder and went on with life. However, I began to think how would I react to those words 'you look fat' if I had a negative self image. If i was unsure of myself. Then how would those comments affect me. Would I cry? Would I look at myself as fat? Would I maybe stop eating altogether?

The point of this blog post today is that regardless what we look like, we have to be comfortable and confident. You have to love yourself so that no matter what people say to you, you will never doubt your self worth. There is no reason for you to feel like you are ugly in any way. You can never give someone else the power to make you feel less attractive. To make you feel like less of a person. You are not only beautiful if you are skinny, or fair and have the perfect clothing. Your beauty has and always will be measured from the inside. You glow when you are beautiful on the inside and that is the place that you should put more of your attention. How good of a person am I?

The age old battle of the weight wars will never be won. You will either be too skinny or too fat. Women will always be judged for carrying too much weight or for showing too much bone. You can't beat them. You have to battle every day. Constantly trying to be perfect in society's eyes. Constantly trying to be a perfect version of yourself. What you fail to realise is that you are perfect, just the way you are.

It is difficult to grow up in a world where you always have to worry about what you look like. Comments like 'you look so fat now', can only fuel it. Eating disorders, depression, self doubt leading to substance abuse can all be brought on by comments from other people. So be wise with your words. Even though you may not mean it in a malicious way, you have no idea in what way the receiver will take it. Be gentle. Is it necessary to comment on someone's weight? Will it change the world? Will it do you or the person any good? Think before you speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read each and every one of your lovely comments. Please make sure to leave your blog address as I will not reply to you here, I will visit your blog and reply there.

Instagram: @kajalmaharaj